Saturday, September 27, 2008

And I ALSO Have a Bracelet


Well, well, well. Guess who decided to show up at the debate after all. Turns out participat-ing in the year-in-the-making event probably was a better idea than handing the nation's mic over to your opponent for a solo act, huh dumbass?

With McCain's pathetic little stunt out of the way - which was kind of like Britney Spears' VMA appearance last year: first painfully awkward, then just forgettable - the main event did not disappoint. As expected, McCain took every opportunity to call out Obama's "inexperience," and Obama reminded us all that McCain still doesn't understand the economy and loves the '80s. While Obama was not always velvety smooth, sometimes just muttering, "That's not true, that's not true," he never lost his cookies like McCain, who was actually visibly shaking at times. The truly classic moment, however, came when after McCain shifted into trademark downer gear with the tragic story of a fallen soldier whose bracelet he now wore, Obama rebutted with, "I too have a bracelet..." Oh...my. I half-wondered if the camera would zoom in and reveal LIVESTRONG bracelets on both of their wrists.

Brad and I watched the debate unfold out at a bar in [shudder] Times Square - again. It seems we are in with this 21st Century Democratic Leadership group in New York, and they like to host all of their events in touristy bars. At least it's centrally located?

Now you should have gathered after reading my posts by now that New Yorkers are intense and scary. But the only thing more intense and more scary than a New Yorker is a New Yorker with a cause. Do NOT cross these people. The chairman of the committee, upon getting on the mic to introduce the event and a New York state assemblyman in attendance, actually threatened to shut the TVs off if we didn't hush. Really? Really, you think the best way to further the cause of this group is to prevent us from viewing the debate we came to see? Really, you think you can actually get 500 twenty-and-thirty-something New Yorkers with Obama on the brain, the next hook-up in sight, and a cocktail in hand to be quiet? Bold.

Brad had a work event that ran until 8:00 last night, so unfortunately, we had to meet there. "Unfortunately," because in my attempt to secure a table for us (which did not happen), I arrived around 7:50. With Brad not arriving until 8:30, that left me with 40 insufferable minutes to dodge the left-leaners of Wall St.

7:51 - Walk the floor. Check upstairs, circle the room.
7:53 - Go to the bar, get a drink.
7:57 - Test-sip drink and pay.
7:58 - Re-circle the floor, inquire about empty seats that are saved.
8:00 - Find a good standing spot. Check Blackberry, text Brad.
8:01 - "Hi, are you a member of the organization?"
8:01 and 6 seconds - Foiled.

"Srini" worked for a hedge fund. Surprisingly, he does not like this whole economic meltdown. Srini likes to use lots of big words, like "partisan" and "earmarks." He does not count on my political acumen. Srini is equal parts enthralled and terrified.

Enter "Rick," Srini's friend. Rick also "does investments." I question Rick about the fragility of his job. Rick appears nervous. Thankfully, he has a beer in one hand, and a vodka tonic in the other. When I ask Rick why he has two drinks, he explains he doesn't want to have to wait in line at the bar again so soon. I observe that Rick has only had about three girlish sips of his beer. Okay, Rick.

8:15.

Rick - "If I offered you this drink, would you take it? I mean, as a girl, would you accept a drink from a guy you'd just met, if he was already holding it?"
Me - "No, that's weird. Aside from it probably being tepid by now, I'd have no way of knowing you didn't put something in it."
Rick (to Srini) - "Dude, I TOLD you."

8:20.

Srini - "Is our talk totally boring you?"
Me - (Looking up from Blackberry) "What?"
Srini - "Our conversation - is it boring you?"
Me - "What are you talking about?"
Srini - "Banking, investments, you know, mrmrmahrmmrmrrrrrmmblah..."
Me - "Yeah, that's not interesting. But carry on."

8:22.

Srini - "What do you do?"
Rick - "Are you an actress? Is that a total sterotype?" (Seemingly, Rick did not hear me earlier when I said I GREW UP in LA, but LIVED in San Francisco...with my husband.)
Me - "No, I'm in Ad Sales. At home in SAN FRANCISCO, everyone either works for Google, is in banking, or does consulting."
Srini - "Google...I always hear so much about how great that place is...WAIT, you work at Google?"

(Rick still thinks I live in LA. Meanwhile, Google-talk has Srini very entertained. Excellent, I've just bought time.)

8:30.

Me - (Spotting Brad walk through the door) "BRAD!!!!"
Brad - (Surprised) "Wow."
Me - (To Srini and Rick) - "This is my husband, Brad."
(Obligatory handshakes)

8:31.

(Srini and Rick exit stage left.)

I continued to witness variations of this experience throughout the night. One particular guy didn't seem even the least bit interested in the debate, but understood that by being at the event, he appeared politically active (and therefore attractive) to a girl who'd had two beers. I'm not sure if this guy should be hailed for his game, or the girl hung for her stupidity - but in a 10-minute span of semi-whispers (as not to disturb actual debate watchers), this dude acquired her legitimate phone number and what seemed to be a committment to "meet up later." And then he was out - no doubt debate-party-hopping. Donkey, elephant...he didn't care.

Yes We Can, man. Yes We Can.

1 comment:

FinnyKnits said...

Oh, priceless.

I love it when self-important retards realize that no one really cares about what they're talking about after all.

Whoopsy! You're talking loud for no reason! Let me continue scrolling my Reader on the Blackberry!

;)