Monday, November 9, 2009

You're Going to Force Feed My Baby?




So you know how in prison, the inmates trade goods with one another? Yeah, well so today, I traded my O Magazine to a nurse for some "Sweet Pea" body wash she stored in her locker. What has become of my life?

There were a couple of highlights today (aside from the nice soap). The first was my second trip out and about. Yes, we take the same route each time, because anything not along the water would simply take me through parking lots. But it's lovely! And the weather is really great now - it's in the low '80s and very breezy. Adding to the excitement was my doc's prescription for some (very limited) walking! So I actually walked the length of a hallway after we returned from our trip - and I didn't even fall over. That practice going back and forth between my bed and the bathroom has apparently been a great training regimen.

We also spoke to one of the Neonatologists today, who we've been trying to nail down for a couple of days, and he provided us with much more of a roadmap than we've had since getting here. As a 34-weeker, our little guy (or big guy, since he's now weighing in over 5 pounds - can you imagine him at 40 weeks??) thankfully escapes the biggest preemie concerns. The main issue he is likely to face is eating (hard to believe, coming from Brad and me). Essentially, his sucking and swallowing skills may not yet be fully up and running, which may require supplemented gavage feeding. I've always associated this practice with the production of foie gras - and it rather disturbs me to think of my baby as a duck or goose. But I digress. He is likely to figure things out within 3 to 10 days post-delivery, at which point he could be discharged and whisked straight to the airport. Pretty incredible! Bottom line - the likelihood of us being home for Thanksgiving is very strong.

Somehow, the big debate today seemed to be whether or not I am actually still leaking amniotic fluid. I'm not sure why this was debatable, considering that they performed a swab test yesterday that confirmed I am still leaking. It's also fairly apparent when fluid is coming out of you, but no one seems to want to listen to me. Everyone (especially today's doctor) seems to be trying to will me to seal over and go back home to San Francisco. Let me tell you something - sealed or not - I ain't coming home without a baby. I am not getting on a plane 34 weeks pregnant, just so that I can land at SFO and have to be rushed to the hospital for more bed rest. I have come to terms with my Miami baby and his November 14th birthday, and we're not changing the plan.

On the agenda for tomorrow - back to Perinatology - somebody call the cops, that'll be 3 days outside in a row!

No comments: