Friday, November 6, 2009

Hair Rescue




Bed rest does not have to be ugly.

After nearly 4 weeks of a bad 'do, which transformed from a once stylin' blow-out to a stringy ponytail to an au naturel bouffant on top of my head - it was time to take action. The twice weekly shower, which allows for an equal number of shampoos, has proven not to be enough. Clean hair is certainly a step up from the hot mess I was working with a week into my hospital stay, but glamorous locks are much better. So much like I put a call out that I needed a mani/pedi, I planted the seed of my hair need.

On Monday, I received a call from a woman named Alyssa, who runs the Femme Coiffure Hair Spa in the Ritz Carlton on South Beach. After chatting for a few minutes, she let me know that her husband, Michael, would be contacting me to set up an in-room styling session. This morning, Michael called - and less than an hour later, Ivan came to my rescue.

Ivan - Latin and lovely - arrived with perfectly coiffed hair, in dark rinse designer denim, a black vest, and a white wife beater. He carried a Jack Bauer bag of hair assault tools. Ivan didn't waste a lot of time on small talk, and I didn't want him to. I'd already been out of bed and off my monitors for more than 1/2 hour, so we needed to get down to business. He moved into the room with a quiet assuredness, taking a standard hospital chair and hospital towels, and using them to evolve the space into his own salon. His only question for me was what he could unplug to free up an outlet. Once we sorted that out, it was game time.

For 45 minutes, I forgot I was in a hospital, much less on bed rest. I closed my eyes, and the warmth of the hair dryer reminded me of home. When all was done and I turned and looked in the mirror, I felt familiar to myself once again - and quite cute.

Believe me, I haven't lost track of why I'm here or what really matters for even a single second. But hell if I'm not going to call Ivan up again next week to ready me for the big day - and while I'm at it, Barbie's getting a call too.

Indeed, bed rest can look good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go girl! You look sassy. I'm sure it feels nice to have your hair done after four long weeks of wearing a pony tail. You (and baby Presner!) will be in tons of pics after he's born, and these pics will be looked back on for the rest of your lives, so why not look GOOD in 'em!? :)

FinnyKnits said...

Yet another thing all us girls were wondering about with you - the hair! What about the hair?

Well, of course, you handle it with great style and ease.

Looking good, my friend.