Friday, October 23, 2009

So Fresh and So Clean




Today was the best day ever - I took a shower!

To all of you, that may not seem like much. But please understand, I had not taken a shower since Sunday 10/11. That's almost 2 weeks. It's a miracle I somehow had maintained some sense of cleanliness by way of bed baths and Benny's assault. But alas, today, I sat on a chair in the shower for 10 minutes and experienced the refreshing feeling of water raining down on my body - kinda like Flashdance - or at least that's what I told myself. I used proper shampoo and conditioner. I pampered myself with body lotion. It was like a spa retreat.

And speaking of spa retreats, the physical therapy team returned today, with a new arsenal of exercises. Still, no rocket science. But they also administered a brief yet satisfying back massage!

Add in the fact that I received 3 delightful packages today (thank you Bess, Ben, Kristie, Jason and Mason!), and you see why this was my best day ever.

Yes, I'm still hooked up to the IV. But the doctor (who looks a lot like a shorter Isaac Mizrahi, but with richer eyebrows) came in today and reiterated that he sees absolutely no reason for concern, and this is just a little something to help me along. That made me feel a lot better after a night during which I slept pretty poorly because, frankly, I was worried. When the nurse comes in your room at 3 am and laments that "it's still irritable," you feel pretty helpless. I appreciate the attentiveness, but it sure is nice when the doctor gives you his much less alarmist point of view.

Here's to week 31!

No comments: