Monday, October 26, 2009

No, Seriously - Who Sent Me a Snuggie?




Today was a bit of a rough day. Not because of any news we received - everything is still great on that front. But because it's now been two weeks, and things that are annoying are really starting to stand out.

The nursing staff really makes or breaks your day. A good nurse wakes you up with a smile in the morning, is attentive but not overbearing, and is informed but doesn't pretend to be the doctor. The nurses the past couple of days have been less than that. Today's nurse couldn't ever remember if she'd taken my blood pressure or checked my temperature. It took her an unusually long time to respond to calls. And she generally seemed like she was about as medically informed as Moby.

I can't even remember yesterday's nurse. To give you an idea, I thought her name was Dolly - Brad thought her name was Lydia.

The good news is that the lack of intensity on the part of the nurses is indicative of my stable state. 90% of women who break their water deliver within one week - so at this point, I'm not quite a medical miracle, but certainly something special. Suddenly, 34 weeks does not seem so far away (I'll hit 32 weeks on Friday).

One thing that did brighten my day was the special delivery that arrived this morning. Tucked inside an unmarked box from Texas was a...Snuggie. I have no idea who it's from, so please holler if you're out there! I'm afraid I'm unlikely to don it while here in the 90-degree Miami heat. However, I promise you I will wear it proudly in San Francisco. Brad can attest to the fact that I wear a lot of ugly blankets around the house because I'm always cold. The Snuggie's freedom-granting sleeves will really be great for getting things done while staying warm!

Another very bright note today...my mani/pedi is scheduled for Wednesday morning! A friend of a friend set this up for me - I didn't have to lift a finger (no pun intended). "Barbara" will be coming by to hook me up. If only I'd thought to ask her if she could bring some hot wax with her - my eyebrows are going to need some help soon. Hmmm...if the physical therapists do massages (which I benefited from again today), do you think they also do hair removal?

Thankfully, I didn't get sucked into any horrible reality TV marathons today (though I did watch Angelina Jolies' E True Hollywood Story - that chick is crazy). So I feel just a little more intelligent than I did yesterday.

Wish me luck on my field trip to Perinatology tomorrow - look for that update next!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Kiesha-- that was from me :) I figured you could wear it in the bathroom incase Nurse Benny decides to make a repeat appearance. Plus, the snuggie has been wildly popular at Yelp...http://www.yelp.com/events/san-diego-friday-the-13th-snuggie-pub-craw so I really had no choice but to buy you one. It's a pregnant woman's dream- What do you think I wear around the house? At the very least, I was hoping it would make you laugh. Wait til you see what's next... xo Sonia