Thursday, October 9, 2008

Goin' Back to Cali, Day 6 - Henderson, NV


Brad told me we were driving 530 miles today - but he can't read his own writing. So when I found it odd that we didn't appear to be near our destination, yet my driving shift was supposed to be nearing its end, he showed me his directional notes (because Hertz is too lame to have provided us with a navigation system to DRIVE ACROSS THE COUNTRY) - and yeah, his notes said 570. I cannot tell you how much farther 40 miles seemed right then - it was sort of a low point.

But now we are in Henderson with Brad's parents, just outside of Vegas. We are positively thrilled to be somewhere familiar and very close to California for two nights!

Entering the state of Nevada was a somewhat unusual process. There's a mandatory checkpoint at the Hoover Dam, and we were ready for a thorough question-and-answer session: Where are you folks coming from? Where are you heading? How long have you been traveling? You know, some normal questions that might actually be useful information for government security to ask before allowing a vehicle to cross into one of the nation's highest security regions. Instead, I pulled up to a stop sign, rolled down my window just because it seemed like the right thing to do...and the government official, standing about 7 feet from the car, gave us a cursory glance and waved us through.

WHAT?

That's our nation's sad attempt at security? I mean, at least humor me and ask if we packed the bags in the car ourselves.

Okay, time out for a second. I just looked up at the news, and apparently, the Colorado Center for the Blind is teaching blind teenagers how to drive. Because, you know, teenagers are such good drivers with their full sight available to them.

God help Darwin.

No comments: