Monday, October 6, 2008

Goin' Back to Cali, Day 3 - Memphis, TN


I have a question for you.

Why do you need fireworks year-round?

On the way from Asheville to Memphis, we passed numerous fireworks superstores. No, not the little stands that go up in June and come down in July. I mean big stores that specialize in fireworks. But I can only assume since they remain open that they get a steady stream of business.

So I ask again...why?

Here are some scenarios under which I might suggest setting them off:

1) The Dow hits 10000 again.
2) After all that church-going, Jesus actually shows up at your house.
3) Inauguration Day - like, no matter who wins, it's a celebration of sorts, right?
4) "My kid made the honor roll at Memphis Middle School."
5) It's just a fun way to light a cigarette in tobacco country.

But I digress.

When we arrived at our hotel in Memphis, we were greeted with typically friendly, southern hospitality - and a suited-for-a-country-song story about the hotel registrar's dog:

Me - "Checking in, last name Ramey, R-a-m-e-y."
Hotel Dude - "Very good, here you are."
Me - "And I have a dog as well, I'm not sure if you have that there..."
Hotel Dude - "Of course, no problem, ma'am. What kinda dog you have?"
Me - "Oh, he's a mix. Maybe Lab and Akita, could be some Chow..."
Hotel Dude - "Oh wow, that is great! Where'd you get him?"
Me - "The shelter."
Hotel Dude - "That's the best. My sister got both of her dogs that way. I got a dog, too..."

And here comes the country song, translated directly from the story that followed from him:

"Brother found my dog in a dumpster,
Left out behind a McDonald's.
Got my dog outta the dumpster,
Gave him to me did Ronald.
My dog had been run over by a car,
And had a messed up leg.
Me and my brother drove far
To the hospital for Dr. Craig.
Now my dog walks on three,
Instead of the usual four.
But you know, I love him so much...
Maybe even a little bit more."

What do you say to that?

We finished the night off with some excellent Memphis barbecue . And tomorrow, it's on to Oklahoma City. Many thanks to anyone in advance who can send me some thoughts on what could possibly be interesting about this destination. (No points for college football or basketball, since we will not be able to see either.)

1 comment:

mel said...

This will not win me points, I know, but if you could be a sweetheart and drop off a couple of turd sandwiches at the offices of the Oklahoma City Thunder, that would make some of us Seattle Sonics fans super happy!